The Association for Women in Science (AWIS) is dedicated to achieving equity and full participation for women in science, mathematics, engineering, and technology.
The purpose ofthe AWIS Washington, DC Metropolitan chapter is:
- increase the number of women obtaining their degrees in science and technology at all levels
- increase the number of women participating in the scientific and technological workforce at all levels
- raise public awareness of the scientific and technologic skills and contributions of women
- collaborate with other scientific, educational, and women’s organizations in developing national and community programs that meet the above goals
- provide awards for and recognition of individual women scientists in order to advance the above goals
AWIS DC advances these goals by providing local professional development, leadership, and networking opportunities for members and affiliates.
Our membership is comprised of women and men with a wide range of educational backgrounds and career and professional development goals who share an interest in promoting the advancement of women in science.