Please see the below list of highlighted events happening in May 2022 through AWIS National and AWIS Chapters across the country. As many events are still virtual, we can continue to take advantage of the variety of events across the AWIS network and meet fellow community members.
Upcoming National and Chapter Events:
- Reflections on Academic Translation and Therapeutic Development (May 11th): On behalf of AWIS Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins Technology Ventures (JHTV) will be hosting Dr. Kathy High, founder of Spark Therapeutics, to talk about her academic research which has led to the foundation of her company and the first gene therapy for genetic disease to obtain regulatory approval in the U.S. and Europe.
- Scientists on the Ballow (May 14th): On behalf of AWIS Baltimore: Have you ever thought of running for office? Black in Chem will be hosting a seminar on demystifying the process of running for office for scientists and other STEM leaders, with a focus on people of color.
- AWIS Seattle will be hosting Finding Your Next Role (May 18th) from 6-7:30pm Pacific Time (9-10:30pm ETD). Join Seattle AWIS and a panel of recruits as they discuss how to land your next role. Registration coming soon on their website.
- AWIS National will host a virtual program Negotiating While Underrepresented (May 19th). Participants will learn practical tips, one-liners, and actionable tools for the negotiation process. Webinar is from 1-2pm EDT and free for all AWIS National Members.
- MASS AWIS is having their (virtual) Annual Speed Networking with STEM Professionals on May 19th from 5:30-7:30pm, ET.
- On May 24th, AWIS Philly will be hosting a virtual zoom Lunch and Learn on Early Career Research Development: Grants to get you started. Registration details coming soon via the AWIS Philly website.
- On May 2nd from 3-4:10pm ET, the NIH will be hosting a virtual webinar entitled Mental Health & Wellbeing of Biomedical Researchers – Executive Functioning. The webinar will define executive functioning (EF) skills, with a particular focus on the role of EF for those working in biomedical research fields. The webinar will provide information on the types of daily stressors that impact one’s executive functioning, as well as concrete ways to manage EF needs and build EF tools.
- May is Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month and AWIS would love to shine a spotlight on AWIS members who are a part of the AAPI community! If this is you, fill out this questionnaire from AWIS National!